This Beet and Avocado Salad is One of the Most Cleansing Lunches on the Planet
If you’re looking to eat cleaner and still want to stay satisfied this is the recipe for you. This upside down beet salad recipe is so easy (only takes 10 minutes) and it looks almost too beautiful to eat.
A perfect salad to welcome in the warmer months and an amazing excuse to have friends and family over! The health benefits of beets are just an added bonus to this delicious dish.
Health Benefits of Beets
- Beets have the ability to lower your blood pressure. This is because of the nitrates in beets that are converted into nitrate oxide in our bodies. This reaction helps relax our blood vessels, which improves our blood flow and blood pressure.
- Beets contain betaine, a nutrient that helps protect our cells, which protects our cells against stress, fights inflammation a protects our internal organs.
- Beets are packed with phytonutrients (which give it its ruby color) which have been proven to fight off cancer.
- Beets are packed with Vitamin C which boosts our immune system, potassium which is essential for nerve and muscle function, and manganese which is good for your bones, pancreas and liver.
- The betaline in beets support the detoxification process in our bodies. This is because betaline supports our body’s phase 2 detoxification process. This detoxification process consists of purifying our liver and blood.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at foodmatters.tv.
Upside Down Beet Salad Recipe
This is how it actually looks like before it is mixed around, stuffed into a container and turned upside down. It is loaded with flavors; lemon, cilantro, avocado and of course beets.
After flipping the beet salad onto a plate we top it with goat’s cheese, pea sprouts and roasted pine nuts.
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook time: None
- 5 large lettuce leaves
- 4 raw beetroots
- 2 raw carrots
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 avocados
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful of cilantro (coriander) or flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 limes, juice (start with the juice from 1 lime and adjust to your taste)
- sea salt & black pepper
- 4-8 slices goat or sheep’s cheese (depending on the size of the cheese)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted in a skillet
- 1 handful of pea sprouts
- Rinse the lettuce leaves and coarsely chop them. Place in a large mixing bowl. Peel beets and carrots and grate by hand or using the grating attachment on a food processor.
- Slice the onion and tomatoes very thinly. Chop the avocados and cilantro and place all prepared ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and toss well, using your hands, so everything is coated in oil and lime and has a nice purple color.
- Scoop one fourth of the veggie mixture tight into a 4 inch (10 cm) wide x 2 inch (5 cm) high, round container or bowl. Place a serving plate on top of the container and carefully turn it upside down, remove the container slowly.
- Top the veggie tower with slices of goat cheese, toasted pine nuts and pea sprouts. Repeat three times. Enjoy!