The Perfect Gluten-Free Recipe for light, thick, fluffy pancakes with coconut oil and honey
This paleo cassava flour pancake recipe is perfect for anyone with an autoimmune condition or trying to heal a leaky gut.
An autoimmune disorder occurs when our body’s immune system attacks its own healthy tissue. This recipe is free of gluten, which can be linked to the cause of autoimmune disease. It is also great for those with any sort of gluten intolerance.
Causes of Autoimmune Disorders
As far as our medical knowledge goes the exact cause of an autoimmune disorder is unknown. Although there are multiple theories that have led us to believe that the consumption of drugs or microorganisms have confused our immune systems. While we are unsure what the exact cause is it is important to steer clear of anything that could be a trigger.
Types of Autoimmune Disorders
- Celiac Disease
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Arthritis (rheumatoid and reactive)
- Addison disease
- Multiple sclerosis
How Gluten Causes Autoimmune Disorders
It is said that 1 out 30 people is gluten-intolerant and many people may not even know about their intolerance. For this reason and many more, it would be wise that we begin to eliminate gluten from our diets.
- Gluten triggers a release of zonulin in our livers. Zonulin is a chemical that tells your intestinal walls to open creating a leaky gut.
- Gluten causes inflammation which damages your immune system. While this may not directly cause autoimmune disorders it is the begins to weaken and confuse your immune system. This is because your immune system views the chemicals and ingredients in gluten as toxins, therefore attacking it.
- Gluten looks like our own tissue. Gluten is actually structurally similar to many of our body’s tissue. This again causes our own immune system to mistake the bad (gluten) for the good (body’s tissue) creating a disastrous environment that our immune system has to navigate through.
The Health Benefits of Paleo Cassava Flour Pancakes
In addition to it being gluten-free, this recipe offers several other health benefits:
- Coconut oil is packed with fatty acids that fight off toxins. The fatty acids reduce appetite which is extremely beneficial for weight loss. These fatty acids have even been connected to reducing seizures in children, they also have been linked to boosting brain function in Alzheimers patients.
- Raw honey is packed with antioxidants that fight off free radicals. These free radicals have been linked to cancer and heart disease.
- Almond milk contains calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamins C, B-6, E and much more. When these vitamins and minerals are combined they create a powerful drink. It helps reduce and maintain blood pressure, it has no cholesterol (unlike regular milk), which contributes to hearth health and it even keeps our skin healthy.
Try these paleo pancakes now. This recipe offers you a way to enjoy a healthy breakfast by allowing you to start your day with warmth and satisfaction.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at blog.paleohacks.com.
Paleo Cassava Flour Pancakes
These cassava pancakes are thick, light, and fluffy — the perfect easy and indulgent breakfast!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 T raw honey
- ¾ cup cassava flour
- ½ t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the coconut oil, almond milk, and honey. Mix well.
- Add the cassava flour, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Cook by scant ¼ cupfuls a couple minutes per side on a greased griddle or skillet over medium heat, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with maple syrup if desired.