How to Pick a Juicy, Delicious and Nutrient-Packed Watermelon Every Time
Watermelon is like the fruit of summer. I find it one of the most refreshing and satisfying snacks to have on a hot day. I mean it tastes great, contains very few calories, and is loaded with antioxidants and amino acids. Can you say, YUM!
- Full of beta-carotene which helps our skin and bone health
- Keep our eyes strong and working
- Support eye health
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases blood flow
- Hydrating the body
- Acts as a diuretic.
I probably first fell in love with watermelon when I was a little tyke and my teammates parents would bring it to everyone of my house league games as our halftime snack. It was always a big hit for the red team.
Needless to say, watermelon and I have had a long love affair. It wasn’t until I moved out of my parent’s house (and started buying it for myself) that I realized my favorite summertime fruit could be ruined if I didn’t follow these five steps.
Because I am so kind, I would like to share them with you.
How to Pick The Best Watermelon
- Weight: Choose a watermelon that feels heavy.
- Yellow Spots: Do not pick a watermelon with a big yellow spot. Try to find one that doesn’t have a yellow spot at all. If it does try to ensure that it is the smallest spot possible. This spot indicates an are where the sun has never touched the watermelon. It means the fruit was not rotated by the farmer, it just sat in the dirt.
- Bruises: Pick one free from bruising, cuts or blemishes and one that isn’t too big. I know, I bet you didn’t know that you shouldn’t buy the biggest one that you see. Medium sized ones are where you want to stay. They tend to be the best.
- Cut it in Half: Ok, so I know not every store will abide by this policy, but ask the produce worker to cut your watermelon in half before you buy it. This way you can see the inside. When its sliced in half make sure the inside is free from cracking. Cracking means its dry and so will not quench that summer thirst.
If you’re looking for a new and fun way to add watermelon to your summer diet, check out this tasty recipe good for entertaining, a night at home, or those late night munchies.
Time: 6 minutes
- 2/3 cup cilantro, fresh leaves
- 1 jalapeno(s)
- 1 lime, zest and juice of lime
- 1/2 cup mint, fresh leaves
- 1 cup red onion
- 4 cups watermelon, seedless
- Slice and skin your watermelon. Dice it into cubes, and place in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Slice the onion, and finely chop the jalapeno, cilantro and mint leaves
- Add them to the watermelon
- Top with the lime juice and zest (can add some slices if you want)
I know I don’t need to sell you on watermelon. It’s the best. Give this technique a try the next time your choosing the round fruit from your grocer.
If you enjoyed that delicious recipe, try these 5 NewWays to Enjoy Watermelon!