Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Biscuits with turmeric, apple cider vinegar and coconut oil
This anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing recipe for sweet potato biscuits will banish all of your sugar cravings. We often associate biscuits as an unhealthy dessert because of their high sugar content but this recipe is not for your typical biscuit.
These gluten-free sweet potato biscuits are packed with healthy ingredients, like turmeric and sweet potatoes that fight off countless diseases and many different forms of cancer. This recipe gives biscuits a new spin. Thanks to these gluten-free sweet potato biscuits you’ll never have to say no to dessert again!
Fights Inflammation and Levels Blood Sugar
This recipe is packed with ingredients that fight off inflammation and stabilize blood sugar levels.
Sweet potatoes are an amazing superfood that can be used to replace almost anything. This versatile vegetable can be used in a variety of recipes from cookies to lasagna. My family tries to use it for everything because the health benefits are endless.
Although sweet potatoes are starchy and do contain some sugar, their sugar levels do not spike our blood sugar. In fact, sweet potatoes do the opposites – adding them to your diet can help stabilize blood sugar levels, making them a suitable food for those with type 2 diabetes.
Additionally, sweet potatoes are high in Vitamins A, C and E which give them powerful antioxidant properties. Eating them strengthens the immune system and protects you against diseases.
They have even been found to fight off cancer, help digestion, and make your cardiovascular system stronger.
Curcumin is one of the most active compounds that exists in turmeric. This compound helps prevent inflammation in our bodies. It helps by removing and fighting off toxins that enter our bodies. Fighting inflammation is important because, although our bodies need some form of inflammation to survive, chronic inflammation is associated with multiple diseases ranging from cancer to any form of metabolic disease.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been proven to benefit those who have type 2 diabetes. It has been found to control insulin levels when eating foods high in sugar. This is extremely beneficial for lowering blood sugar levels.
When we eat foods that are high in sugar it causes our insulin levels to rise, which affects our blood sugar levels. This causes our blood cells to store sugar, instead of the sugar being used as energy and ultimately leads to the development of type 2 diabetes.
This recipe is shared with permission from our friends at alexandrajamieson.com.
Gluten-free Sweet Potato Biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12-15 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (for a gorgeous golden color!)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter or frozen coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cooked, peeled, mashed sweet potato, cooled
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine milk, apple cider, and apple cider vinegar; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne, turmeric, sugar, and salt. Whisk until blended and set aside.
- Cut in butter or coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine egg, milk mixture, and sweet potato, stirring well until mixed. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix, or you’ll lose the nice fluffy texture.
- Scoop 1/4 cups of dough onto the prepared pan, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Serve warm with honey.