Try This Delicious Rainbow Fruit Salad with Honey and Lime
Who says that healthy, wholesome meals can’t be nutritious and delicious at the same time? Well, this sumptuous-looking bowl of rainbow fruit salad with honey and lime is both good for the eyes and the body.
Preparing meals for the entire family that are both healthy and tasty can be an arduous task. Worse yet, it always seems like kids are finding new ways to sniff out and reject anything that is remotely good for their health. Thankfully, there is a new type of salad that isn’t just healthy but also great to look at and delicious.
Healthy and Delicious Fruit Salad
The honey lime rainbow fruit salad is a beautiful blend of delicious and incredibly refreshing fruits, and a simple dressing to compliment it. The fruit salad features a sweet and bright honey lime dressing, and can be served as a main dish or used as a must-have side dish that’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
This colorful dish is aptly named the rainbow fruit salad as a result of the variety of eye-catching colors that go into it. These colors come from the selection of fruits used in preparing the salad while the honey and lime dressing ensures that the combination remains tasty and filling no matter how it is presented.
Kids will love the different bright colors of the rainbow fruit salad (much like healthy M&Ms), and it presents an easy way to get them to eat plenty of fruit at once. This combination of fruits, honey, and lime is so much better than other types of fruit or vegetable salads that require frozen whipped cream or salad topping.
Unlike the heavy, creamy fruit salad dressing that you’re used to, the combination of honey and lime in this recipe leaves plenty of room for all the fruit flavors to shine through without overshadowing it with sugar and other flavors. Better yet, it doesn’t contain any artificial flavor from those packaged pudding-mixes some of us are used to. 
Preparing the Rainbow Fruit Salad with Honey and Lime
- Strawberries – The vibrant red color of strawberries add a special element to the fruit mix. Your strawberries should have a nice red color without any dark spots or mold.
- Blueberries – Plump, juicy blueberries tend to be sweeter and more nutritious, which is exactly what we are aiming for.
- Pineapples – These are chock full of antioxidants and have a great taste. A good pineapple should have that sweet pineapple scent. Its skin should be turning yellow, and it should give a little when pressed.
- Bananas – These add a naturally sweet taste to the meal, especially those with bright yellow peels.
- Red grapes – Your grapes should be firm, plump, and have a beautiful color. To choose the best of the bunch, squeeze a couple of them; they should be tight and attached to the stems.
- Kiwi – Select kiwi fruits that are fairly soft when pressed since these are ripe and sweeter that the firm ones.
- Mandarin oranges – Canned mandarins are fine, but fresh ones are preferable. Also, mangoes can be used as a substitute for the oranges.
- Honey – All-natural honey works best, but you can try maple syrup or brown rice syrup as a substitute.
- Limes – These give the mix a sharp tang that makes every bite an adventure. In a pinch, lemon juice could work too.
How to Make the Rainbow Fruit Salad
Step one: Prepare the fruit.
- Wash the strawberries, blueberries, and grapes.
- Peel the pineapples, kiwis, and oranges.
- Peel the bananas.
Step two: Chop the fruits and prepare the dressing.
- Cut up the fruits into bite sizes and add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together honey, lime zest, and lime juice in a small mixing bowl.
Step three: Toss the fruit combo with dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the fruit just before serving and toss to coat evenly.
- Serve as a main dish or as a side dish.
Health Benefits of Fruit
Fruits are a good source of minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin A and vitamin C. They play an essential role in preventing several vitamin deficiencies and reduce our risk of contracting chronic diseases. The USDA encourages people to eat fruit as part of an overall healthy diet.
Fruits are an essential source of many nutrients necessary for our wellbeing, including fiber, potassium, folic acid, and vitamin C. Fruits like citrus, strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries contain phytochemicals that provide the body with many health benefits. For example, the potassium in fruits can reduce your risk of developing kidney stones, heart disease, and stroke.