Right now cloud bread is in vogue. A fashionable, delicious food that has moved from the back shelf at the bakery to centre stage.
Soft, fluffy and gluten free. Three words that perfectly encapsulate the surging appeal of cloud bread. You can turn them into sandwiches, pizzas, toast them or simply smear with hummus. With no gluten and practically no carbs, they make wonderful healthy snacks.
This recipe is fantastic for me when I’m hosting. A couple of my friends suffer from celiac disease, so being able to whip up a batch of cloud bread using just four ingredients, with less than 50 calories per ‘slice’ is ideal for finger food at parties.
Many recipe options suggest the use of cream cheese, but I recommend using coconut cream instead.
Whether you want to line up a series of dips for the bread or revolutionise your sandwiches, cloud bread is a tasty base for parties and picnics. Rather than experiencing the notorious post lunch carb crash, the lightness of cloud bread will fill you up without draining your energy.
By making your own you can ensure the quality of the ingredients used and that there are no added preservatives. With such a limited numbers of ingredients, the recipe is also cheap and takes no more than an hour, meaning you don’t have to pump vast quantities of money or time into the baking them.
Don’t take my word for it though! Get out your mixing bowl and whisk to create your own melt in your mouth cloud bread.
Gluten Free Cloud Bread Recipe
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Crack open eggs and separate out the yolks from the egg whites, placing them in two different bowls.
- Add the coconut cream and honey to the yolks, whisking until you have a smooth mixture.
- Using a hand mixer (or a lot of elbow grease) whip the egg whites.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat the mixture until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
- Once the egg whites have a fluffy consistency, fold the yolk and coconut cream into the mixture. Ensure that you do this gently so that you don’t lose too much air from your egg whites.
- Scoop six separate rounds of the mixture onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately thirty minutes or when the bread turns a golden brown.
- Remove the ‘clouds’ from the oven and allow to cool for ten minutes.
- Enjoy the fluffy deliciousness of you cloud bread!